PSHEA JULY 2018 MEETING MINUTES
CALL TO ORDER: Rod Schauf called the July Meeting at 6pm at APEX Flooring. A quorum was not present.
Mike Dierdorff Apex Flooring
Padraic McGinnis Courtyard by Marriott – Federal Way
David Gault Fairmont Olympic Hotel
Gary Tapley Four Seasons Seattle
Glen Hoffman Grand Hyatt Seattle
Michael Edwards Graybar Electric
Rick Schneider Harold’s Lighting
Ryan Glatt RestorX of Washington
George Barnes Salish Lodge & Spa
Rod Schauf Sheraton Seattle
Sara White Sherwin Williams
Doug Peterson with Business Development Group provided insight on how engineers can increase productivity, improve engagement and get results by collaborating with others.
Collaborate Problem Solving:
All engineers have challenges and problems that have to be solved. We need to learn to tap into the collective knowledge that we have in our association.
Very talented people don’t want to fail or look bad or weak. We all fail and look bad and weak. We need to get over it.
I heard a joke about the 18, 40, 60 rule
- When you are 18 you worry about what other people think of you.
- When you are 40 you don’t care much about what people think of you.
- When you are 60 you realize no one is thinking about you.
I got some advice from the founding chairman of the board of Mercy Corps. “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing poorly” Dr. Raymond Vath.
- Anything you have not done before you will not be good at right away. Try practicing helping each other and asking for help on the tough issues. We all have them and who wants to keep them.
- Talk about best practices. You can’t spend the time necessary now to train people. Start with a 10-15 minute training every day or something. It’s a starting point. If you don’t everything falls on you. Try something small to improve. Build a case and sell it to management. Gary did that can got a $10 raise for everyone when he lost a 17 year employee. You need to keep your talent.
- Create a committee where the members take turns being on the committee to work together to find sources of committed loyal workers who see getting a job and getting trained as valuable to them. I believe Rod, had a good starting point for that. It sounded like having a labor pool would help. I owned a recruiting company and the statistics are the 65% of jobs are found through other people and 85% aren’t posted. Find the people who know people like Rod described or come up with a better plan. Your competition is office buildings and construction, not each other.
Doug suggested we possibly do an exercise at a future meeting.
- Take a meeting and list all of the challenges you are facing as a group.
- Don’t discuss the challenge listed unless you are not clear what it is and don’t solve the challenged yet, just list it
- List them on a flip chart and use a dot system to determine the most important challenge.
- Give each person 3 adhesive dots and they can put them on the 3 items that are the most important to them.
- Break up into 3 groups and each group and spend 10-15 minutes discussing the challenge and come up with 3 possible solutions.
- Share the solutions with the group and determine next steps.
Mike Edwards provided Treasurer’s Report that the current checkbook balance was $14,938.30 with all bills paid in full. As of 7/26/18, we have 30 paid members for the year 2018 (20 hotels, 7 vendors, 3 utility)(Quorum=12).
We all rose and repeated the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Rod Schauf thanked Michael Dierdorff/APEX Flooring for hosting the meeting.
- PSHEA Trade Show was been pushed back to possibly November due to vendor availability at the April Meeting. Remember we all need to promote this special meeting to hotels. Membership Committee (Sara White, Neil Davaz, Mike Edwards, and Tim Bartholomew, Gary Tapley) is coordinating efforts to hold the Trade Show in conjunction with the PSHEA November Monthly Meeting. UPDATE: We need to confirm vendors & utilities willing to help support a Trade Show since moving to later in the year. Gary Tapley can be contacted via email at email@example.com.
- PSHEA Board of Directors to follow-up with AC Moate Industries Sales Rep to see what 2018 Mariners’ game we could coordinate to have PSHEA Members attend a presentation and then enjoy the ballgame. AC Moate Industries is a full service parking lot construction and maintenance company. With their vast suite of services, they offer clients a first class solution to all of their parking lot needs.
- Possible future speakers from, or on the following topics: American Red Cross; Renovation Management Oversight; Manage Engineering Efficiently; Guest Room Technology; Roofing (Inspections, Projects, etc.); Asset Protection & Documentation. Submit Qs/Speakers to David Gault, Secretary for distribution.
Rod Schauf mentioned that effective August 1, 2018 SCL was lowering its rebate for lighting from 23 cents down to 15 cents per kWh.
Glen Hoffman mentioned that the new Hyatt Regency at 8th & Howell is planning on opening December 1, 2018.
- A roundtable was held for members present to share its activity in the past month.
COS Building Tune-up Ordinance – This new requirement comply with this ordinance is 3/31/2019 and everyone development an action plan to get compliant.
The August 2018 PSHEA Meeting to be held at Four Seasons/Graybar Electric on August 30, 2018. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The September 2018 PSHEA Meeting to be held at Salish Lodge & Spa on September 27, 2018. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The October 2018 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on October 25, 2018. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The November 2018 PSHEA Meeting & Trade Show to be held at TBD on November 29, 2018. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The December 2018 PSHEA Meeting is cancelled for Annual Holiday Dinner at TBD on December 6th or 13th at 6pm with reception at 530pm.
The January 2019 Annual PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on January 31, 2019. We will hold the Election of 2019 PSHEA Officers.
The February 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on February 28, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The March 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on March 28, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The April 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on April 25, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The May 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on May 30, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The June 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on June 27, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
The July 2019 PSHEA Meeting to be held at TBD on July 25, 2019. Topic of discussion: TBD.
Rod Schauf adjourned the July Meeting at 720pm.